Friday, January 12, 2007

Sad Pilgrimage/ John Lennon's Journey from emptiness to emptiness


.......he suddenly announced to close friends in the spring of 1977 that he'd become a born-again Christian. He had been particularly moved by the U.S. television premiere of Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, starring Robert Powell as Jesus, which NBC showed in two three-hour segments on Palm Sunday, April 3, 1977. A week later, on Easter day, he took Yoko and Sean to a local church service..............

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/januaryweb-only/001-22.0.html

Imagine That!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fascinating. I have been a huge Lennon all my life (ask my sisters) and I have never, ever heard this story. I also don't really believe it, quite frankly. The only part that makes me think the article may be credible comes at the end, when John denounced Christianity two years after supposedly embracing it. At any rate, I believe he understood more clearly the message of Jesus than any of the evangelists cited.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great article, thanks for pointing us to it. I was particularly interested in a little part at the end where he talks about his interest in "Buddhism" because it didn't say there was ONE way to God. I wonder if Buddhism has or will have a growing appeal in the USA for that very reason.

It also gives me cause to reconsider John 14. Did Jesus intend for his words to be used as apologetically as we use them?

Impossibleape said...

Hi Jenn
There was something more in the air in the late 70's than the smoke of stale maryjane and fresh hash.

It caught quite a few people


me included

Impossibleape said...

Hi Frank
I'd love to explore more thoroughly the topic you brought up.

If I posted a paragraph or two explaining how I think John 14 works would you be interested in engaging on the topic?

God Bless