Monday, July 24, 2006

It's Finally Starting to A+D+D up?

Absentminded, forgetful, careless.

Inattentive, unable to follow directions


Unable to follow directions, forgetful (did I just say that?)
Testy, irritable, impulsive, tendency to blurrtt tings out without tinking or pruf reeding.





It In my 50th year I finally know why I am so carnsarned different.It is official, the impossibleape has Attention Deficit Disorder (inattentive type, not hyperactive).I was ready to declare myself either a rare type of Autistic, perhaps an idiot savant (with the accent on idiot), or brain damaged from an accident that my brain damage did not allow me to remember...uhmm....er........what was i talking about again?Oh ya. It finally adds up. As the title of an excellent book on the subject states...'So I 'm Not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid' (much).
In case you were wondering if I am self diagnosing or selfdeluding I can state unequivocally that I am 'certifiable'. It was a horrendous journey to get the beast named but I have the official papers to prove it and am experiencing some good results with medicine. Dealing with the continuing aspects of the disorder will be a challenge but at least I see the path because I am better able to employ the executive functions of the brain which help us know what to do with the piles of papers, old magazines, clothes and just junk laying all over the place. Executive functions also help you put one foot in front of the other because you can see the steps needed to get somewhere. it also helps the brain sort out and prioritize things so you can see the forest for the trees and so not walk headlong into a cedar bush. One of the many problems of ADD is disorganization and unclear thinking, perhaps now I will be able to understand that clothes on the chair can be put on a hangar and placed in a closet.Wish me well as I try to tidy up my closet, my files, my room and my thinking.


LH

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love Pearls Before Swine!

Great news on getting diagnosed and getting help with meds. My daughter was labeled ADD and ADHD for five years, but I kept saying "no, no, there's something else..." Last year she was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is a developmental disability on the Autism Spectrum. But - you probably already know that. Anyway, just getting the right diagnosis makes a huge difference, imo!

Impossibleape said...

Hi Jenn
You have certainly been going thru some very trying times.

Its a wonder that your blog profile picture can still smile.

Asperger's has got to be a tough condition to face. ADD has some remedies and accomodations that can make a big difference but Autism is harder to address.

I hope you are getting good support from your church and your extended family as you deal day to day with the major family issues that have fallen upon you.

Blessings to you and your family.
Len

Jennifer said...

That's very nice of you to say.