Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Happy Prince Christmas

A Happy Prince Christmas:
Oscar Wilde’s fairytale is one of my most important Christmas memories. During my early teenage years I was trying to come to terms with the fact that the world didn’t always work things out to my personal satisfaction. Scarves and sweaters weren’t exactly my Christmas fantasy fulfilled but each year I received more and more of them. At the same time, I was becoming keenly aware of how much unhappiness there was in the world. How could I reconcile this dark realization with a simpler, kinder view that included a belief in a loving God who intervened in the affairs of men, or at least took a passing interest in them? I felt a real need to find a way to reconcile a simple faith with an honest and reasonable understanding of the world. But how?

As a young person I had a tradition of watching every Holiday special ever aired on the only two channels we could get on the Manitoulin in those days, CBC and CTV. Year after year Charlie Brown would remind us of the true meaning of Christmas but by the time I was a teenager most of the seasonal offerings weren’t reflecting life as I knew it. Thankfully in the early 70’s I discovered two new shows that addressed many of the issues that were plaguing me. One was the Selfish Giant and the other the Happy Prince. If you get a chance to see either don’t pass it up. (Happily I have been able to obtain a copy of The Happy Prince so I can enjoy it all year round. Come and visit and I’ll share this treasure with you.)

If you know the story, you may recognize yourself in the characters? Perhaps you feel like the children who are hoping for something good to happen (perhaps the end of a difficult season in life) ………….. ‘there certainly has been a terribly hard frost this year.’
Personally I hope you see yourself as the little swallow. If after the first few pages you aren't flattered by the comparison, just hang on, it gets better.




Early in the story the swallow is flighty, vain and immature. Perhaps you don’t share any of these faults (I’ll let you and your families be the judge of that), but no doubt your wings are a little tarnished and rather ill fitting. Mine need to be dry cleaned……often!

Despite the swallow’s many shortcomings, he eventually surrenders his plans for his own comfort in order to fulfill the longings of the Prince’s heart and to care for the needs of others. In doing this the swallow begins to participate in one of life’s great mysteries and ministries. As he grows in a grace tempered by suffering, his acts on behalf of the poor and the outcasts of the city begin to transform himself and others around him.

In life, we can be the suffering, sometimes our loved ones are called to this unhappy role. More often, the strangers we pass on the street or see on T.V. are the ones needing a compassionate sacrifice. But whoever they are, they each represent the heart of God , as they did for the Happy Prince in our story.

My Christmas wish is that we can see an inkling of meaning and purpose in our personal trials and challenges. When I am hard pressed it helps me to remember the example of someone like Mother Theresa and how she accomplished ‘Something Beautiful for God’. She didn’t do this in spite of the pain. She did it through sufferings shared in love. This is the most difficult mystery but in reality it is the most beautiful.
At times we may feel we are consigned to the ‘ash heap’ but our hope is; when the angels are sent to gather the most precious things in the city we will be chosen by God and by the Happy Prince.

“….for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing forevermore and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me.”

Many blessings to you and yours this Christmas season.
Love
Len, Cathy, Evie and Josh Hindle





http://www.oscarwildecollection.com/

http://www.happyprince.ca/

No comments: