Monday, December 18, 2006

Mother Jones Likes Tammy and Jimmy's Little Jay (I think I do too.)

The son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker says that Jesus loves you, tattoos and all. by Dave GilsonDecember 13, 2006

MJ.com: One thing that struck me is how you've put yourself in a leadership position where you freely admit you don't know all the answers. And people literally embrace you for that.

JB: I don't have all the answers. I grew up around people who told me they did, and then in the long run I found they didn't. So I figured I better start out honest with people and stay that way. I think there's pressure when you're a pastor that you have to have all the answers, and if you don't, your faith is built on sand. For me, faith is about believing in those things you can't see and at times can't understand. I've been really blessed to have people who are open to that and stick around. Not everyone does stick around, though................

JB: We're really just a small church. We meet in bars. We're a come-as-you-are-whoever-you-are kind of church. We're a church about love and grace and acceptance and caring about people and at times agreeing to disagree.................


MJ.com: "One Punk Under God" catches you right as you make the decision to make Revolution a gay-affirming church. How did you get to that point?
JB: It took me a long time to get there. I had a lot of gay friends and even had some congregation members who were gay, and I just wasn't sure where I stood. In my heart, I was like, "How can I condemn these people for their love of one another?" I started looking deeper into the Bible and studying and then I went to a [gay-affirming] church. It all came together at one point. One of my friends came out, and I ran into one of my old camp counselors who had come out. I was like, "This is so strange-all these people who have been important parts of my life are all coming out and are being asked to leave their church or not having anything to do with their church anymore." It kind of took a while because I knew I'd be risking everything. I knew this particular decision would cause me to lose a lot and would cause the church to hurt.

MJ.com: Has the church been just as strong since that decision?
JB: The church is going well, but we haven't been supported. We lost a lot of financial support and I've lost most of my speaking engagements. News traveled fast.

MJ.com: How is New York treating Revolution?
JB: It's the best it's ever been. I'm really happy here. ..........It's a really interesting crowd. We have an agnostic person who comes on a regular basis, a transgender person who said that they found our church because they we're looking for a church that wouldn't hate them. The congregation is really great. My mom is really sick with cancer, so I've been gone a lot and members of the congregation have been getting up and speaking. I'm starting to realize that we've become a church of people instead of a church with this head guy. There's something really neat about that because I don't think it's fair for them to think that I have this hotline to God. Too often we put these pastors up on pedestals and make it all about the man of God. That's something I'm really excited to be getting away from.


read the full interview at

http://motherjones.com/interview/2006/12/jaybakker.html
Dave Gilson is the associate editor of Mother Jones.

No comments: