Monday, November 13, 2006

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE CHURCH?

My pastor surprised me a few months back. He told a story about someone asking Billy Graham what was the biggest problem in the church today and without a minute's hesitation Billy replied 'Racism'. My pastor said he didn't understand the comment until he went to speak at a black church in Florida. Something clicked and he is a convert now.

I personally think my pastor has one tiny step to take and he will be into the blue sky of truth.

What is at the base of racism is a false sense of pride and superiority and a perverted need to think of ourselves as better than someone else.
People with disabilities of all kinds aren't victims of racism but they are victims of perverted pride and rejection by the 'in-crowd'.
If the problem at root of all the churches struggles was defined as prejudice of any kind (and not just the specific and particularily ugly kind called racism) I would say Billy G. and my pastor have it just about right.

So to all you who want to improve the church please keep loving and including the eccentric, the different, the outcast, the challenged and the challenging of all sorts. They are the cure to the disease of false valuations and prejudice that is so common in our 'In Crowd' church culture.


LH

No comments: