Thursday, August 17, 2006

Evangelical Essentials, a "quadrilateral of priorities"

As a sympathizer and quiet proponent of the Emergent Church I wonder if I fool myself and others by claiming to be an evangelical believer. Frankly, on my most difficult days I wonder if I am any kind of believer at all. I certainly can't claim to be a shining paragon of Christian virtue and spiritual formation. I have almost as many questions as I do answers and when my darkened mind contemplates the world and its accumulating suffering I am sometimes tempted to doubt the 'good news'. Perhaps some of you who are more ebullient in faith would be so kind as to pray for this weak, straying (?) hypocrite.

Recently I came across two lists of Evangelical Essentials and I was relieved to discover that I am essentially still an Evangelical. If agreeing to the essentials are sufficient grounds to maintain membership in the fraternity, than I am in and no court of high evangelical doctrine can take my membership away.

It appears that doubting is not a deal breaker after all, even if it is a heart breaker.

Of the two lists I prefer the first (older) version of the essentials because it places Activism (making the gospel concrete) higher in the list and because it describes an Evangelical's relationship to the Bible in, shall we say, more flexible terms (the inerrancy and or infallibility question is one I can get tripped up on if pressed too hard by the fundamentally inclined.).

Art work supplied by Daves Designs. Check out his blog.
It is listed in my links to the left of the page.


Why don't you take the faith challenge and see if you qualify as an Evangelical believer.

Four elements :
In seeking the essentials of belief, generally all roads today lead back to a historian at the University of Stirling in Scotland. In Evangelicalism in Modern Britain, David Bebbington framed four characteristics which he says are "the special marks" of Evangelical religion and which many others use as a basis for a common understanding.


  • The "quadrilateral of priorities" is:

  • Conversionism, a belief that lives need to be changed;
  • Activism, the expression of the Gospel in deed;
  • Biblicism, a particular regard for the Bible;
  • Crucicentrism, an emphasis on the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

In their introduction to Evangelicalism, editors Bebbington, Rawlyk and Mark Noll, McManis Professor of Christian Thought, Wheaton College, reworded the categories as:

  • A stress on the New Birth;
  • A reliance on the Bible as ultimate authority;
  • A focus on Christ's redeeming work as the heart of essential Christianity;
  • An energetic, individualistic approach to religious duties and social involvement

How do you rate on the Evangelical "quadrilateral of priorities"?

Are you all in, all out or a little of this and a little of that?

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm all out. This is a new development.

Impossibleape said...

Hi Jenn

When you say "I'm all out. This is a new development", are you referring to your personally being 'all out' as the new development (which might mean to me that the pain of this moment is making faith an untenable position right now),

or is having a list of minimum beliefs for membership in the evangelical club the new development and you are not in agreement with the 4 priorities as stated or even with the idea of having any minimum requirements at all?

Can you provide a little more insight into your condition of being 'all out'?

Jennifer said...

Oh boy. I really didn't mean to open this can of worms. But I guess it was a moment of weakness! Actually, I've been thinking a lot lately about the most basic of Christian beliefs, and come to the conclusion that I simply don't believe them and I'm not sure I ever have. There has always been this uneasy questioning in the back of my mind, and I think things have finally culminated for me. That's really I can say at the moment. I don't want to get into it now. But hopefully soon I'll be able to write about it more intelligibly. :)

Impossibleape said...

I am sorry to hear that.

The tenets of faith were never easy to believe. And perhaps doubly so if you are well read, and have a tender heart.

Faith is no less a miracle than parapalegics walking,perhaps more so (did you ever get to read the post 'A Beautiful Mind A Beautiful Heart A Beautiful Soul' on this blog?)
It is a gift that we cannot order up on willpower alone. Fortunately it is (at least I believe) a gift that is without repentance and God is faithful even when we are not.
If you have ever committed yourself to Him then I trust that God will continue to be involved in your life and in due time He wil bring you back to Himself.
Prodigal Daughters are as welcome as Prodigal Sons in the Father's house.

If in the meantime you continue to exercise the second of the 2 greatest commandments I think you will be doing well enough.

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

whats up everyone


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

what I was looking for, thanks