Wednesday, August 30, 2006

To Those Who Wonder Why God Does Not Intervene in The Affairs of Men More Often

A U.S. Marine was attending a college course between missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. The professor, an avowed atheist, shocked the class one day when he walked in, looked toward the ceiling, and said loudly, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes." The lecture room fell silent and the professor began his lecture. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God - stillwaiting." It got down to the last minute when the Marine stood up, walked toward the professor and threw his best punch, knocking him off the platform and out cold. The Marine went back to his seat and sat down. The professor came to, noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked, "What is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"The Marine calmly replied, "God is busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to behave like an idiot. So He sent me."

Apparently Marines are taught
1) Keep your priorities in order, and
2) Know when to act without hesitation

I often wish I had such characteristics, but since I don't, I'll continue to bumble and 'milquetoast' my way through life the best I can.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Ouch! How about a policy of loving one's neighbor instead? ;) I sure hope you don't start going around punching athiests, IA. lol.

Impossibleape said...

LOL indeed

The monkey poo was flying, wasn't it?

my sense of humour does get me in a mess of trouble

I was being self deprecating about my 'lillylivered' and indecisive demeanour but of I certainly can see how it looks like I was condoning physical assaults on
those with divergent views.

Definitely not a condonable action.

Although I am glad for cops and soldiers and bar bouncers who know when and how to administer the instruction manual upside the head of the unrestrained hordes. (again a dangerously worded attempt at humour for which I will no doubt be apologizing soon.)

Oh well, wonderful to have your attendance in the monkeycage.
Please come again soon.
I will try not to fling so much poo in
the direction innocnet bystander's
in the future.

God Bless

Jennifer said...

Geez, I've been trying for 2 days to get on here. My work computer definitely does not like you for some reason.

Anyway...

Veeeeery funny. LOL.

Impossibleape said...

Hi Jenn:
I think your first trouble getting connected began when I added the daily quote box to my blog. Traffic to the site has declined sharply since it went up so I think the 'thinkexist' quote machine must have caused some problem accessing R2E.

I have eliminated the suspect. Let's see if the problem is solved.


Take care

Chris said...

That seems to have helped the problem. The blogger's trap: avoid the plug-in nightmare! LOL.

Impossibleape said...

God does move in ways we would never expect.

But of course this in no way condones violence in the name of God.

We Christians have had a chequered past in this regard. (Not as bad as some would like to make out but we do sport a metaphorical black eye for our failures in the turn the other cheek department)

Mr Bean:
Check out Grow Mercy in the blog links at the side of the page. It is a great read and it has taught me so much about the folly of making violence and even sacrifice the heart of the gospel.


and nice to have you in the monkey cage for this visit

take care and God Bless.