Monday, September 04, 2006

Labour Day Special

This goes out to my friends who have honestly laboured to understand the Christian Faith.. Some have concluded that they can no longer believe, others are honestly questioning aspects of the Christianity but are holding on to Jesus, the author and finisher of their faith, and some are blissfully unaware that there are any legitimate questions . Most of the unaware are wonderful Christians who live their faith in a genuine way and treat people as precious to God and themselves.
But some others have a more disagreeable mindset. They may have fallen victim to manipulative teachers and now pass on the distortions and deceptions they have been taught. You may have heard them say something like this, 'God said it (meaning, the jots and tittles of Bible. If any of these jots or tittles contradict the spirit and teachings of Christ, well they can live with that and you'd better too), I believe it (meaning, a highschool dropout told them what it means and they said if Christians don't believe it like the dropout taught it then they're going to be kindling for the devil's fireplace), so that settles it (their personal salvation is on the line here. Don't bother them with facts or sound reasoning because they and God can beat up any dissenters and they firmly believe that reality bows before them and their interpretations of those difficult jots and tittles) .

I love those who do not understand but still believe and I sympathize with those whose commitment to integrity and reason tell them they can not accept the Christian story as they understand it at this time.
But I am deeply troubled by those who in willful and perhaps malevolent ignorance declare that their thoughts are God's thoughts and their ways are God's ways and anyone who questions that is a spawn of Hell deserving extreme everlasting unpleasantness.
If you are one of those 'my way or the Hiway' Christian teachers, I say unto you, Try a little honest labour. To those who honestly wrestle with the scriptures, their personal experiences, and the world as it is coming to be understood by rational enquiry, I say unto you, your labour is not in vain. To those who have not found reason to remain in the faith I invite you to continue to wrestle and to be open to a new information and experiences. Perhaps the evidence of religious experience may become available to you and make the balance between faith and doubt move towards a different conclusion than you hold today.

In honour of this Labour Day I give you some materials to labour upon.


Job 9:29If I be wicked, why then labour I in vain?Job 9:28-30
1 Corinthians 15:58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Isaiah 49:4Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.

Psalm 127:1-3
1Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
2It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
3Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
Isaiah 65:23
23They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.



Galatians 4:11I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:10 10But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Philippians 2:16Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. 17Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.



May you someday hear the great WorkMan of creation say; "Well done my good and faithful labourer."

LH

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you, Impossible Ape.

Impossibleape said...

Well Jenn, I thank you for being so gracious. I respect your integrity, your courage, your compassion and your clear thinking and it was a real loss to me when I heard that faith as it was taught to you was an untenable propositon.

Chrsitianity is not in great shape and it needs people of your qualities to help reform it. I hope you will someday come to think that our rotten house is worth labouring on to renovate and renew.

I was happy to read
your 'Life is Good' post on your blog.
Life is good and sometimes (but only sometimes) it is pleasent as well. You deserve some time of good and pleasent, I hope it extends for a good long time.

God bless you and your family.

from
The ape who was and is impossible

Chris said...

Thank you IA - labouring is good indeed (just don't tell that to a pregnant woman in her 9th month if you value your front teeth). :)

Bliss is impossible for me, because as far back as I can remember I have always asked questions. The more answers that came, the more questions I raised in response. I see no end to it. So I am at peace with not knowing it all, or ever thinking I will, or even hoping I will.

If there is one thing I would like from a "heaven" it would be this... answer all my damn questions! LOL! Then I can rest in peace finally.

Impossibleape said...

Hi Liminal

Thanks so much for your comment.
There certainly is a mystery at the centre of our lives. But the more we get to know Jesus the more we get to know the truth.

I agree that there is a purpose for our continuing to participate in the world.
One scamp once suggested to the pastor that he should keep baptismal candidates under the water still they stop struggling. That way they'd all get to heaven and he'd save himself a mess of trouble trying to herd a bunch of stray cats through the tangle of life's complications.

I believe radical grace is still the key to our salvation. But a faith that does not work itself out into the world and change our hearts through our actively loving others and by grappling with suffering in our own lives and in the lives of our neighbours is not saving faith.
Faith and works (a.k.a. active love) are the two sides of Salvation's coin. We can't have one with out the other.

BTW
I took a quick look at your blog and I am eager to go back and read more of your posts. It looks fascinating.

Take care and God Bless You.