Monday, December 25, 2006

Jesus’ Christmas Invitation Part 1

adapted from a piece by rainbow christian/Ninure Saunders at
http://deaconninure.0catch.com/Christmas/XMAS_letter_from_jesus.html

Hello dear friend!
You know, it's been many years since people first started celebrating my Birthday. Everyone realizes and appreciates how much fun it is for the children but I can’t help thinking that most folks seem to be missing the point. Every year, when Christmas comes around, they throw a big party but for some reason they seem to forget to invite me! They begin preparing for the festivities months in advance, but when the big day comes, I’m not even on the guest list!
Even though I’m not invited, sometimes I’ll quietly slip in. Usually everyone is drinking, laughing and having a grand old time. There is always a fat fellow in a bright red suit, wearing a phoney white beard. He’ll waltz in and shout, "Ho Ho Ho!" and he’ll tease the boss’s wife “Oh my, I hear you have been a naughty girl this year”, and other such nonsense.
He is usually ‘two sheets to the wind’, but he manages to weave his way around the floor while everyone cheers. When he finally collapses into a big armchair, all the children come running over to him excitedly yelling, "Santa!! Santa!!"
Then he will begin telling some fanciful stories about how he lives at the North Pole with a crew of elves and that every year on my birthday he rides in his sleigh pulled by a bunch of flying reindeer, delivering presents to children all over the world!! As far as I can tell there’s not a word of truth in any of it! But by the way everyone reacts you'd think he was the guest of honour and the whole holiday was about him! It’s at this time I walk out the door, but no one seems to notice.
Sometimes it makes me feel about as lonely and forlorn as a stray dog! Maybe you don’t think it gets to me but it does,………….sometimes.
Another thing that amazes me is how, on my birthday, instead of offering me a present, most people give gifts to each other! It's usually all kinds of stuff they don't even need, or things they will have to exchange or re-gift anyway! Let me ask you, wouldn't you find it odd if when your birthday came along, all your friends decided to celebrate by giving themselves presents but never gave you a thing, or even acknowledged your presence? Someone once told me that it's because I’m not exactly around, or in your face, like other people are, so how can they give me a present anyway? Well, my answer is that you could help those who need really it. How about giving something to those who have so little that they would never think of exchanging or re-gifting. Why not go visit the lonely! Comfort the sick! Do like my friend Johnny Cash did and sing a song for those in prison. How about offering a smile and a kind word to a person who is forgotten and put aside! Any gift you give to these people, I'll count as if you gave it to me personally! (See Matthew 25:34-40)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did you write this? It's awesome! Very cool.

Impossibleape said...

HiJenn
Yes I did. I'm so pleased that you liked it.

I did rip off the idea and few points in the first section from a Christmas piece I had seen. The piece made Jesus spout a whinny self absorbed rant against political correctness.

I didn't think that Jesus would be so concerned about His being crowded out in the holiday celebrations. I did think that He would like to speak up for others who are put aside so I wrote this to reclaim and reestablish Jesus' love for the poor, the disabled and the outcast.

Impossibleape said...

"the poor, the disabled and the outcast."

you know, my kind of folks.

Jennifer said...

Yep, mine too.