Thursday, October 12, 2006

Evangelical Faith (Amish, Mennonite and Jesus Style)

Sometime ago I posted a piece called
Evangelical Essentials, a "quadrilateral of priorities"
In it I wondered if I could be classified as an evangelical believer. I took comfort in the fact that I still shared the 4 priorities that others had established as minimum for membership.

In this post I take even greater encouragement in a wonderful quote from one of the founders of the Anabaptist pacifist tradition, which include the Mennonite and Amish Sects.

Listen to this great man of God and decide if our modern evangelical priorities are an affirmation or an affront to Mennos's definition of Evangelical Faith.


"True evangelical faith cannot lie dormant. It clothes the naked, it feeds the hungry, it comforts the sorrowful, it shelters the destitute, it serves those that harm it, it binds up that which is wounded, it has become all things to all people."
- Menno Simons

Is this who we are?
Is this what we want to be to the world
and to each other?


I hope so.

No comments: