Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hitchens vs God

Recently Christopher Hitchens and Douglas Wilson have debated the proposition that Christianity (and theistic belief of all kinds) has been, on the whole, bad for mankind.

you can read the arguments here.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/juneweb-only/122-52.0.html



I enjoyed the debate very much and made this comment at its conclusion.



Perhaps it will intrigue you enough that you read the articles in the link. I hope so. The articles are well worth the time and they are entertaining as well as educational. Kind of like Sesame Street for theologians if you will.







Impossibleape said





I have enjoyed this entire series. I am a Christian who is often mad at God for many of the reasons spoken of by Christopher. I am a 'sometimes' atheist who continues to be mad at the Being that I occasionally say I do not believe in (the fool has said in his heart, 'there is no God').

I was inspired to think better of the Christian tradition and teachings by Douglas's excellent defence of Jesus as the life of (and therefore the good of) the world. But I agree with Chris that even Christianity needs to evolve because no amount of verbal contortion or ridiculous double talk can justify the outrages against simple morality contained in the Old and to a lesser extent the New Testaments.

On the whole I give the debate to Doug. Even though I am still a 'sometimes' Christian atheist (as I expect Chris is) I do feel a little better because of what I have experienced here and I hope Chris will too........in the evolving contingency of time. Thanks to all.


LH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. Have appreciated Hitchens choleric and challenging writing.

http://growmercy.org/2007/05/31/religion-poisons-everything/

Impossibleape said...

hi steve

hitchens is a most interesting thinker and communicator.

I often find myself agreeing with him and almost always enjoy listening to him even on those occasions when i don't care for his conclusions.


Perhaps he is right that the old theistic understanding needs to be done away with

when that happens l'll hope for a resurection of a better understanding that takes us closer to the truth. Perhaps one that
a Christian atheist like hitchens can embrace.