Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Beauty of the Canadian Way of Life


A middle-aged guy from Edmonton had recently purchased a rare 1975 Bricklin Gull Wing. One crisp Alberta morning he picked up his double double Tim Horton's coffee at the drive-thru (it actually was a Starbucks 'sit in Grande Latte', but how Canadian is that, eh?) The proud owner took off down the Trans CanadaHwy, he floored it to 120 km/h, enjoying the wind blowing through what Little hair he had left."Not Bad, eh!" he thought as he flew down the road, pushing the pedal to the metal even more. Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw the RCMP behind him, red and blue lights flashing and siren blaring.
"I can get away from him - no problem!" thought the mid-life rebel as he floored it to 130 km/h, then 140 km/h, then 150 km/h.
Suddenly, he thought, "What on earth am I doing? I'm too old for this nonsense (reasonable and law abiding, but not overly uptight about it)!", he pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the Mountie to catchup with him.
Pulling in behind him, the officer walked (with his gun still in its holster) up to the driver's side of The Bricklin Gull Wing, looked at his watch and said, "Sir, my shift ends in 30minutes. Today is Friday. If you can give me a reason why you were speeding that I've never heard before, I'll let you go (exhibiting both fairplay and compassion, not to mention humility)."

The man, looking very seriously at the Mountie, said,
"Years ago, my Wife ran off with an RCMP officer.
I thought you were bringing her back".

Have a good day, Sir," said the Mountie
(semi-British sense of humour).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, no, no.... The truly Canadian response to the officer would be:

"I thought you were after my Timmies.

'Cause everyone knows the RCMPs are addicted to Tim Horton's "coffee".

What's scarier is that it's TRUE.